Cafe 227

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Barbaro Memorial "Worst Bets" Rankings, Continued: Worst Restaurants in DC

Let's continue with the "Worst of" rankings. Last week, we reviewed the bar scene. This week, we turn our attention to restaurants.

And the 10 worst restaurants in DC are...

10. Lauriol Plaza
9. Lauriol Plaza
8. Lauriol Plaza
7. Lauriol Plaza
6. Lauriol Plaza
5. Lauriol Plaza
4. Lauriol Plaza
3. Lauriol Plaza
2. Lauriol Plaza
1. Lauriol Plaza

I think you get the point. Lauriol Plaza is the bane of my existence. If I were ever overcome by the desire to plow my car into a building at top speed, I would immediately seek this place out. The ambiance is unremarkable, the food is atrocious, and the service is worse. Yet it's perpetually crowded - two-hour waits for a table on a Friday or Saturday night are routine. The staying power of this place is inexplicable. Dearest readers, if you can provide any insight as to why this place remains popular, I would greatly appreciate it.

6 Comments:

  • But the Indonesian/Malaysia place across the street from LP is pretty good.

    Am I wrong?

    By Blogger Wicketywack, at 12:56 PM  

  • THANK YOU Johnny Shades. I've been hating this place for years and feeling like there's something wrong with me, bc it seems like most people love the LP. I HATE HATE HATE standing around for an hour+ with a bunch of other douchebags just to get a table at a not-very-good restaurant with staff who don't give a shit. I'm willing to wait for Jaleo because the food is worth it.
    LB is right, the Malaysian place across the street is great, as is the Nepalese place a few blocks down.
    -Katie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 PM  

  • Bahhh ha ha ha ha! I hate Lauriol Plaza too, it's so terrible! But i still LOVE it that I'm featured on your blogger pic.

    By Blogger red storm, at 2:23 PM  

  • LB - Straights of Malaysia, I think it's called. Very good. And, they have rooftop seating.

    Katie - There's nothing wrong with you. There's something wrong with the rest of the city. LP sucks.

    RS - Was that pic taken Haloween 2003? Good times back then!

    By Blogger Johnny Shades, at 2:59 PM  

  • Lauriol. Jeez. There is SO MUCH better Mexican in the city. But, I won't even breathe a word of it because I don't want all the people from the flipping 'burbs coming in and crowding those too with their SUV's and multiple children.

    By Blogger Melissa, at 10:50 AM  

  • Lauriol is a prime example of "The Purple Cow." Something that is ridiculously famous/popular for no real reason. Like $5 coffees from Starbucks. Who knew American consumers were this dumb?

    Which reminds me...what do we think of Velvet Action Figures?

    NO PUNS FROM THE CHICO'S BAIL BONDS PEANUT GALLERY.

    By Blogger Melissa, at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home