Cafe 227

Friday, September 15, 2006

My New Favorite Pittsburgh Bar: Belvedere's

So when I went to Pittsburgh over Labor Day weekend, my dear friend Alayne introduced me to a new bar: Belvedere's.

We actually started the night at Brillobox in Bloomfield. Apparently, there's this burgeoning hipster/punkster/artsy scene in some of Pittsburgh's eastern neighborhoods - Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, East Liberty, etc. Brillobox appears to be ground zero for Pittsburgh's nouveau intelligentsia on weekend nights. (Of course, being from Brookline, I had no idea places like Brillobox existed. Instead, I just assumed everybody in Pittsburgh spent their weekends like they do in Brookline - i.e., by donning their Zubaz, Merril Hoge jerseys, and Starter jackets, moussing up their hair, and heading out to the local bar to dance the night away to the sweet tunes of Donnie Iris and the Cruisers.)

After about 30 minutes at Brillobox, a large group of us headed a few blocks away to Belvedere's in Lawrenceville.

Now, imagine a typical yinzer neighborhood bar. Now, imagine it on steroids. That's Belvedere's. There are two rooms - a small, wood-paneled front room packed with yinzers where the actual bar is located, and a cavernous back room where assorted hipsters were having a little dance party. The two groups never, ever intermingled - which is kind of an allegory for Pittsburgh itself. But this place is hipster paradise. The whole scene screams "irony" - right down to the prominently-displayed sign behind the bar advertising the bar's MySpace page.

I went straight to the bar and ordered 2 jack-and-cokes and 2 PBRs ($1 a can). The grand total? $8. (By comparison, $8 would buy me half a martini at Oya.)

My next stop was the dance room, which resembled a VFW hall after a particularly festive lenten fish fry. The banquet tables that usually take up most of the floor space were pushed to the side to make room for the hipster dancers. One of the tables actually had an American flag paper tablecloth:


The DJ was actually spinning some pretty good old-school hip-hop and R&B, deftly navigating between the likes of Bel Biv Devoe, Kool Moe Dee, and Prince. The hipsters were dancing their asses off, and not necessarily to the beat of the music. I think Ecstacy was involved. One woman (who was ostensibly there by herself) kept twirling around like she was preparing to whack a pinata. This continued until she got bored, at which point she decided to use the support pole in the middle of the room to simulate the dance maneuvers of a stripper.

At some point, I switched from jack-and-coke to good old 'Ahrn City. Alayne, who was feeling especially creative that night, decided to turn my empty bottles and cans into art:


After about 5 or so 'Ahrns, I had to make my first trip to the bathroom. I was thinking about tagging up the bathroom wall, but I was dissuaded by the following sign, which was hanging next to the urinal:


(Seriously, could a sign like this ever be posted in a city other than Pittsburgh without an eventual lawsuit?)

I eventually had enough 'Ahrns in me to wow the hipsters with my Michael Jackson moves on the dance floor. After about 2 hours of dancing, 10 'Ahrns, and 8 trips to the graffiti-free bathroom, it was time to go. But next time I'm in the 'burgh, there's no doubt I'm going back - I wouldn't want to miss the complimentary pig roast:

13 Comments:

  • one of the best nights we've ever had, my friend. belveys rocked. thank you for the post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:16 PM  

  • Hello, you don't know me but i googled "Belvedere's" and came across your blog entry (the internet is creepy, what can i say?). I'm glad to see you had a rocking time in our city. You should come back.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 AM  

  • Hello, you don't know me but i googled "Belvedere's" and came across your blog entry (the internet is creepy, what can i say?). I'm glad to see you had a rocking time in our city. You should come back.

    By Blogger Corrin, at 4:27 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Matt, at 10:10 AM  

  • If you like Belvedere's (which I'm embarassed to admit I'll be visiting for the first time tonight for the Boca Chica release), you should try Sufak's (Round Corner Inn) just down the hill on Butler. Front bar room full of yinzers, second room decorated like a Polish grandma's parlor, sometimes full of their wives, and a really nice fenced backyard that is ALWAYS empty, they let you play your CDs on the conveniently-located boombox... And order pizza in. Cheap, cheap cheap.

    I think it's funny that hipsters in pittsburgh need to justify themselves by paying NYC prices for beer, while NYC hipsters are always in search of the next Greenpoint Tavern-type bargain dive... You could learn alot from a NYC hipster... Cheers.

    By Blogger Matt, at 10:13 AM  

  • I also googled "Belvedere's Pittsburgh" and was directed to your blog entry. Have to say it provided some much-needed levity to this otherwise miserable girl on finals week. Especially loved the "Graf" sign. Ha!

    By Blogger aolivez, at 9:13 PM  

  • R.I.P. Sufak's Round Corner Inn

    18??-2009

    What is becoming of the LV?

    By Blogger mkjeeves, at 8:40 AM  

  • the most unprofessional place I've ever been to. If you are a band and care about your sound please avoid this place. terrible A/C power. manager attitude. threatened me cause they thought i was taking too long to pack up. threatened to toss me and my equipment out in the street. the mirrors were also smashed on my truck. 20 years in the music business and have never been treated so horribly. the manager got 5 buddies from the bar to stand over me with their arms folded. Maybe they are not used to having a real PA with a professional company. worst experience ever.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 PM  

  • belvederes is full of smelly hippy punks who think they're better than everyone else.how can you smell like shit and think you're better than anyone?
    if you like fat girls with bad tattoos or white guys with dreadlocks,this place is for you.if you have a brain or a nose,avoid it like the plague.

    By Anonymous Your blog is shit, at 4:59 PM  

  • I am here to help get your internet site off to an incredible begin. Do not be one of these that wished they had carried out it better the first time, then just take around the job, and expense, of beginning more than. Your internet site reflects what you as well as your organization or hobby are all about.

    I'm ready to offer low-cost, user-friendly, customized created websites for a vast assortment of organizations, organizations and teams.It also shouldn't cost a lot of money to obtain you began. I will support guide you via the process as well as warn you once i think you may be acquiring in over your head, or beyond your spending budget.

    Listed here are some hight high quality companies for a resonable cost:

    Front-End Development
    Custom web site design
    Affordable web site design
    E-Commerce website design
    Corporate Website Design
    Innovative website design
    Static Web Design
    Website maintenance
    Web site re-designs
    SEO Services
    Logo Design

    Please look around the site for further information about the [url=http://www.adrianbotea.com]freelance web designer[/url] services that I am able to offer and to see examples of websites that I have designed

    --------------------------------

    [url=http://www.adrianbotea.com/seo-services][img]http://www.adrianbotea.com/seo-moz.png[/img][/url]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:53 AM  

  • By Blogger raybanoutlet001, at 9:04 PM  

  • By Blogger jeje, at 5:33 AM  

  • By Blogger 5689, at 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home