Cafe 227

Monday, September 11, 2006

The 9/11 Attacks: No Silver Lining

I think most of us can agree that absolutely nothing good came out of the 9/11 attacks. There are, however, varying levels of "bad." And somewhere on the spectrum between "the senseless murders of 3,000 innocent Americans" and "being required to take your shoes off at airport security checkpoints" is this:

I just got off the phone with my father, who owns a Middle Eastern deli in Pittsburgh. His store was broken into and vandalized late last night/early this morning. It's unclear whether it was "just" a robbery or a 9/11-related hate crime. But I suspect it's the latter due to the timing and nature of the vandalism. (Usually when my father's deli gets robbed, the perpetrators go right for the cash register and don't take time out of their busy schedules to thoroughly trash the place...)

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home