Cafe 227

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Divorce Really IS Painful for Kids

A recent CNN.com story has brought a painful issue to the world's attention; apparently, a divorced couple is fighting over whether their 8 year-old son should be circumcised. No, you read that right, he's EIGHT.

Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but when I was eight, I was happily playing Little League, enjoying my Atari 2600 (did you know it was the most "poplar" video game system? maybe that's why you only find it at flea markets and in grandparents' attics), and generally trying to stay out of trouble. I did NOT have my foreskin discussed in court proceedings.

There are several other creepy things to come out of this story. First, the poor kid allegedly has painful bouts of inflammation that prevent him from wearing anything but loose fitting pajamas. That'll make life easy if you're eight.

The other creepy thing is that David Llewellyn, an attorney from my hometown of Atlanta, SPECIALIZES IN CIRCUMCISION CASES. Now, I'm an attorney and many of my friends are attorneys as well. I had no idea that a.) there were any circumcision cases making their way through our courthouses or that b.) you could specialize in them. Good for you, Mr. Llewellyn, for finding that one thing that makes you happy and working hard at it. If we meet, however, I would respectfully request that we refrain from "shop talk."

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home