Cafe 227

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

RIP, Miss Deaf Texas

I didn't know quite how to react to this article, titled "Miss Deaf Texas Struck by Train, Killed". Here are my thoughts:

1) There is really a Miss DEAF TEXAS??? Couldn't they come up with a more complimentary, elegant-sounding title?? Will the future winner of a pageant for overweight people be called "Miss Bedonkadonk, USA"???

2) I am reasonably confident that no one knows who this woman is. Although her death is undoubtedly tragic, it's not like this poor girl was a household name. Which makes me question CNN's motives for this news story. Why did they write it in the first place?? I think it was so they could write the second paragraph ("A witness told Austin televion station KTBC that the train sounded its horn right up until the accident occurred"). Christ in a sidecar, is that kind of detail necessary?!

3) It seems to me that the entire point of this lurid story was to emphasize that had this poor girl not been deaf, she would have been able to get the fuck out of the way, and would not have ended up as track wax.

What do you guys think??

6 Comments:

  • It's quite clear, someone at CNN thought the whole thing was hilarious and slipped it in. I mean, come on now... it merits at least one completely un-PC chuckle.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 PM  

  • Her eyes worked, didn't they? Could she not see the train tracks?

    By Blogger Claire, at 3:23 PM  

  • My exact thoughts. Excellent post!

    Now in my deaf voice:

    "I neber hewrd de twayn cumig"

    By Blogger Conor, at 3:27 PM  

  • Hell. In a handbasket.

    By Blogger Johnny Shades, at 3:37 PM  

  • i am not concerned about the existence of heaven or hell. well, definitely not heaven, and i'm working on not caring about hell.

    By Blogger Conor, at 5:15 PM  

  • In the words of DMX, "it's dark and hell is hot."

    By Blogger Johnny Shades, at 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home