Cafe 227

Monday, December 11, 2006

Jay-Z Battle Raps Himself and Wins

I'll admit it - I dig the new Jay-Z single "Show Me What You Got." (Even though he kind of stole the loop from Teddy Riley's "Rump Shaker." But as Guru says in "Take it Personal," "Rap is an art, you can't own no loops. It's how you hook em up and the rhyme style, troop.")

Anyway, one thing confuses me about the song. In the following stanza, he seems to directly contradict an earlier incarnation of himself:

"Why even fool with these other guys? They all stingy
All these dudes know how to say is ‘gimmie’
Gimmie some ass, Give me some brain
Give me your number, gimmie your name..."

As I think you'll agree, this is a stark volte-face from someone who once wrote a song subtitled "Give it to Me":

"Give it to me
Gimme that funk, that sweet, that nasty, that gushy stuff
But don't bullshit me
C'mon, gimme that funk, that sweet, that nasty, that gushy stuff."

Jay-Z may be a great rapper, but talk about fickle. He retires, then he unretires. He demands that you to give it to him, and then he hates on guys who demand the same. I just can't figure him out.

1 Comments:

  • I think we can agree that this contradiction to himself can be seen as: (1) growth; (2) dumbing down for audience (since growht might not work since you shouldn't grow that much from 32 to 37); (3) can't hate he got the money, chica, and own sports team.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home