Cafe 227

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

World Jump Day is Tomorrow, End of World is Nigh

What is this absurdity? Can this be for real?

I've seen some stupid ideas for concocted feast days before (Talk Like a Pirate Day and National Corndog Day come to mind), but never one that so threatened our very existence.

I'm talking about World Jump Day, which is tomorrow.

The general premise is supposedly based on German research, which purports that "planet earth could be driven out of its current orbital rotation by the combined force of human beings jumping." Apparently, this result of this orbital positioning would be an end to global warming, extended daytime hours, and a more homogenous climate.

Dubious. (As well as internally inconsistent - if there are more daytime hours, how will that reduce - let alone end - global warming??)

I'm not a physicist, but I doubt that 600 million people jumping at the same time can alter the orbit of the planet earth. So I assume this web site is a hoax.

I hope this web site is a hoax.

But if it's not, and you want to participate in this global experiment with potentially cataclysmic implications, jump time for the Eastern U.S. time zone is precisely 6:39:13am tomorrow morning.

2 Comments:

  • Oh good, from Wikipedia: "The site is an art installation, and in no way serious." That makes me relieved.

    By Blogger Johnny Shades, at 3:19 PM  

  • Hey now, I've heard you hype up National Corn Dog Day before. That's legit.

    By Blogger AC Milan, at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home