Cafe 227

Monday, July 17, 2006

The Fate of Sugar's and Other Fun Tidbits from the Washington Business Journal

I love the Washington Business Journal. I always feel like I'm in the know about restaurants and bars before everyone else in DC, which affords me an air of coolness among my friends that I don't deserve. For instance, today I learned the following:


  • Sugar's crap-tastic deli in Georgetown, which shuttered its doors earlier this year, will be replaced by Saxbys Coffee, a Colorado-based coffee shop chain. I'm usually a vocal opponent of chains such as this being introduced into thriving urban areas (mostly on aesthetic grounds), but they could've opened a Hooters in this space and it would've been an upgrade. Tom Papadopoulos of Popadopoulos Properties brokered the deal - and I only mention that to ask the following question: If your last name is Papadopoulos, are you required to either be (1) a real-estate broker or (2) a diner proprietor? Just curious.
  • An eatery called Potato Valley Cafe is planning to open its second are location in the "China"town-Penn Quarter-Gallery Place neighborhood. Potato Valley almost exclusively serves potato-based dishes - 40 different types of potato dishes, in fact. The WBJ couldn't help themselves - they just had to describe the cafe's growth by using the verb "sprouting up."
  • The location of the now-defunct nightclub Kili's Kafe (formerly club 2K9), near the intersection of U and 8th streets NW, was up for auction a few weeks ago, but the seller canceled the auction "when it became clear the bidders weren't prepared to pay the $9.9 million asking price." The seller, who paid $7 million for the property in 2004, apparently wasn't aware that greater Washington's real estate market "has officially started its summer vacation" (which I also learned from the WBJ today...)

3 Comments:

  • Respect the Greeks bitch, or I'm going to throw a beer on you.

    By Blogger Melissa, at 3:51 PM  

  • Hey, I like the Greeks. They're just like the Lebanese, without the good food.

    By Blogger Johnny Shades, at 9:04 AM  

  • A Papadopolous can also be Webster's dad on TV.

    By Blogger Boutros, at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home