Cafe 227

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Green Weenie

Yes, I know there have been a lack of posts over the past few days. And I know you're all disappointed. But it simply cannot be helped - I actually have work to do this week.

But, I would be remiss in not pointing out this extremely informative post about the history of the Terrible Towl from Deadspin.

In my opinion, however, the Terrible Towel has had its heyday. Now, every Johnny-come-lately NFL team has its own version of the Terrible Towel, which its fair-weather fans twirl on any given Sunday. It is therefore my suggestion that this Sunday, Steelers fans everywhere dispose of your Terrible Towels and dig up your old Green Weenies. For the unfamiliar, the Green Weenie was a good luck charm that Pirates fans used in the 1970s to jinx opposing players. As Wikipedia helpfully explains here, "the green weenie was a rattle in the shape of a green hot dog."

It is time to bring back this truly unique Pittsburgh tradition.