Cafe 227

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Hip Hop Represents the Hoyas

Hip-hop's love affair with Georgetown has been well established. (For example, see Outkast's Rosa Parks or Biggie's Warning.) Now, there are two new songs on that give a shout out to my alma mater.

The first is Nas' Hope, off his aptly-titled new album Hip-Hop is Dead:

"You had to have somebody else's, a small chrome on your pelvis,
Starter Jacket, Blue Georgetown or Green Celtic..."

The second is Jay-Z's The Prelude, from his recent album Kingdom Come:

"Pantries full of Arm & Hammer, don't take Nancy Drew to see
what it do, I'm a damn G
Just sent a million dollars through a hands free
That's big money talk, can you answer me?
Before the Answer was a 3
I was down in Georgetown with a Hoya chick, lawyer chick..."

I've always been perplexed by Hip-Hop's fascination with Georgetown, considering the preponderance of preppy, rich, New England blue-bloods at the school. But I suppose Hip-Hop transcends class and race these days...

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home