Cafe 227

Friday, June 30, 2006

Handy Dandy 4th of July guide to instant party - just add booze and shake vigorously.

In anticipation of the 4th of July, I figured I would share some tips to make your weekend a happier and more safe one. A good Fourth of July to me usually revolves around a barbecue, lots of drinks, fireworks and good friends.

If you crave barbecue but do not want to fire up the grill (or live in an apartment building that has just banned grills) - you can pick up some great barbecue food from Rocklands. Just do me a favor and stay away from the Dave's Insanity sauces they have on display. I love to eat hot food - but this sauce just about kicked my ass. I do realize that any sauce that needs to be described in the superlative is probably one not to be messed with. Also mind you, the good people at Dave's Insanity offer hot sauce and pest control at the same time so you have been forewarned. I have learned my lesson - but DAMN - it does taste good.

Good drinks go well with good barbecue - whether from your grill or from Rocklands. Make sure you stock up on enough beer or margaritas...whatever alcohol suits your fancy. Not all alcohol has to be in traditional form though - get creative! Another party favorite is the watermelon filled with booze (not to be consumed at family barbecues). The first time I had one of these was in high school. I do NOT think that we used the 'best quality vodka' or even this thing you call 'champagne'. We probably used Popov or Everclear - but those with refined tastes can adapt this recipe to their liking. Some have said that you can refine bad vodka into good vodka. I have never tried it, but friends of mine say it works and it IS on the Internet so it has gotta be true.

So we've covered some food and some alcohol.

Now - if you are like me, there is nothing better than a good cigar after a fine meal. My friend (and yours) Tampa Tony (or Tamda Tony if you like) has a new gadget to help to pare down your cigar from a phat unwieldy one to a nice sleek one. I am quite partial to the silver Splitta. I wonder what other products Tampa/Tamda Tony has invented? I will be watching this site for updates. This site probably deserves its own post - but I'm feeling lazy. I'll revist Tony after the vacation.


The 4th of July is not complete without fireworks. If you are brave enough to go down to the mall - beware the crowds and take the metro. If you are looking for a good place to watch the fireworks - find a friend with a boat on the Potomac, go down to the waterfront, OR head up to the Washington National Cathedral. I know it sounds strange, but you can get a great view from the grounds of the Cathedral and Mount Saint Albans. The Mount is the highest point in all of DC, and the views from various areas around the Cathedral Grounds are breathtaking. If you are taking pictures, check out these tips.

After all the festivities are done, catch a cab for free or hitch a ride with sober friends. You don't want to drive drunk because you might spill something. Oh yeah....and watch out for cops. If you do get pulled over and get taken down to the pokey, just act better than this guy.

Happy Fourth everybody! I am off to Bourbon shortly to enjoy a few frosty pints before starting the weekend off right.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home