Cafe 227

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Automatic for the people?

I just got back from a wonderful weekend in Boston where I celebrated my birthday. I was born in Boston oh so long ago so it felt right to be there for my birthday while celebrating in drunken fashion with some friends from college and my girlfriend. Great times indeed and I do miss New England...but had I known that I would come back to find out that Vinatieri is going to the COLTS - I might not have left and instead staged an eat-in at any restaurant in Southie.

W.
T.
F.
?

So let me get this straight......the Pats are going to let 'Automatic Adam' go to the COLTS because he would have cost them too much money? They couldn't designate him a franchise player because of a lousy 3 million? They didn't want to shell out a few extra mil for a guy who by virtue of his golden foot became a LOCK in those clutch situations and potentially was the linchpin in the building of a dynasty (see AFC Div. Playoff game 2002, Super Bowl XXXVI, or Super Bowl XXXVIII to name a few.) THEY'RE LETTING HIM GO TO THE COLTS???

I understand that we're not supposed to get too attached to great players on our favorite teams because players become casualties of the salary cap and free agency and experts stated that for the health of the team and the league it needs to happen. These are the same experts that said that eating Pop rocks and drinking soda would kill Doza - but I've tried much worse and he's still alive.

Bill Simmons wrote a great column about learning your favorite team just dumped one of its greatest players. I'm not going to get started on Willie McGinest and I'll let you read his piece. As for Johnny D - he's still dead to me.

The point is - this just sucks. He's going to the COLTS of all teams and replacing Vanderjagt. The worst part is that the Pats are considering Vanderjagt as Automatic's replacement. Vanderjagt is possibly and potentially one of the main reasons that Peyton Manning (whom I hate) can't close the deal to save his life (like some people on this blog who will remain unmentioned in this posting).

Losing Vinatieri to the Colts is like finding out your ex-girlfriend is dating a good buddy of yours from college. Lucky for me I never had to experience this personal level of displeasure - otherwise I could compare the two.

Oh wait...that's right I did - they both suck - but the Colts got the better end of the deal here. My ex-girlfriend wasn't so lucky.

Snowjob? I think more like.....
Automatic stole my heart the night he kicked through the sleet and snow. Strangely enough I was in a bar in New York with abovementioned ex-girlfriend watching that game. If I remember correctly I won a bunch of cash from some moron in the bar that night by betting on the big V.

Automatic WAS for the people of New England - he and Willie meant so MUCH to the Pats and next year they won't be there.

Good luck in a dome Automatic. You didn't need luck before and I doubt you'll need it again. I just hope and pray you somehow become more semi-automatic if it is the end of the 4th Quarter with the game on the line and we're standing on opposite sidelines.

4 Comments:

  • Cafe 227 generally doesn't condone non-Steelers related football banter. Consider yourself warned.

    By Blogger Johnny Shades, at 8:43 PM  

  • I don't understand why we're talking about the Patriots and/or Colts. Did they win Super Bowl XL? Am I eating crazy sandwiches or is this just like discussing whether Saigon Kick should tour with their original lineup or a reworked one?

    By Blogger Conor, at 10:27 AM  

  • I love that you managed to work some gratuitous insults into a football commentary. Good job.

    By Blogger Garfield, at 11:51 AM  

  • Wow. That's a lot of space to use up to talk about a kicker. Boston fans really DO suck!

    By Blogger Chico's Bail Bonds, at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home